Gas leak prompts evacuations in Raleigh
Posted May 23, 2014 5:19 p.m. EDT
Updated May 23, 2014 10:34 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — Police evacuated the area of Haywood and Martin streets in Raleigh on Friday afternoon because of a natural gas leak.
Raleigh Fire Department Battalion Chief David Whitley said a maintenance crew was cleaning a sewer line when they accidentally hit a gas pipe shortly before 4 p.m.
The gas was shut off and workers were digging to seal the leak. A hazmat team was also called in to monitor air quality, but no problems were found.
Mendel Snipes was asked to leave her home near Martin Street.
"They knocked on the door and told you, there's been a gas leak you need to evacuate, we're going to cut the power," she said.
A spokeswoman with PSNC Energy said crews would be making repairs until 9 or 10 p.m.