Mold shuts down Franklin County Health Department
Posted September 2, 2015 4:08 p.m. EDT
Updated September 3, 2015 11:44 a.m. EDT
Franklin County, N.C. — The Franklin County Health Department was shut down briefly Wednesday after mold was discovered, according to a department spokeswoman.
Angela Harris, Franklin County manager, said that staff were asked to leave the building and customers were offered only limited services while contaminated areas were sealed off for treatment.
By mid-morning, all the staff was back at work.
Harris said the department was made aware of the issue on Aug. 21 and had the results of the mold test within a four-day period.
“We have had employees complain about sinus and allergy problems since the report came out,” Harris said. “Perhaps 20 or more have expressed that they have had, in some point in time, an allergy or sinus problems.”
Peeling wallpaper was the initial concern, according to Harris.
In addition to the wallpaper, the department has suffered a “number of leaks” and replaced the roof in 2005.
According to Harris, contaminated areas have been sealed off with “proper equipment being utilized.”
“Air scrubbers will be replacing vacuums, and anti-microbial treatment will be applied,” Harris said.
The building had a hot water heater leak in late July, but it’s not believed to be related to Wednesday’s incident. Harris said costs could exceed more than $100,000.