Local News

Four Oaks slaying suspect quiet in court

Posted January 25, 2010 10:52 a.m. EST

— The man suspected of killing a Four Oaks couple whose bodies were found at their burning house last week said nothing as he appeared in court for the first time Monday.

Barney Edward Gamble, 48, of King Mill Road, faces two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of L.C. and Sue Anne Beasley. He is also charged with first-degree kidnapping, arson and larceny of a motor vehicle.

A judge denied bond to Gamble, who is being held in Central Prison in Raleigh for safety reasons. His next court appearance was set for Feb. 11.

Sue Anne Beasley's body was found inside her burning house at 125 Hollow Oak Drive last Thursday morning. L.C. Beasley's body was found in a nearby shed. Relatives said that Sue Anne Beasley was tied up in a chair in the kitchen.

Authorities have said that Gamble and L.C. Beasley were known to dabble in drugs and that investigators were looking into whether drugs played a role in the slayings.