Political News

Former President Jimmy Carter criticizes Trump's Middle East plan

Posted January 30, 2020 4:35 p.m. EST

— Former President Jimmy Carter Thursday criticized the new US plan for the Mideast unveiled earlier this week, saying the plan will harm future attempts to find peace between Israelis and Palestinians.

"The new U.S. plan undercuts prospects for a just peace between Israelis and Palestinians. If implemented, the plan will doom the only viable solution to this long-running conflict, the two-state solution," Carter said in a statement.

President Donald Trump on Tuesday claimed his Middle East plan was a "realistic two-state solution," but it caters to nearly every major Israeli demand and was immediately rejected by Palestinians.

It lays the groundwork for Israel to immediately begin annexing all of its settlements in the West Bank with US backing and also foresees the eventual establishment of a Palestinian state with limited sovereignty after a transition period. Palestinian negotiators have not had direct contact with the Trump administration in more than two years.

Carter said the plan violates a proposed two-state solution to the Israel-Palestinian conflict based on 1967 borders, which has been called for in numerous UN resolutions.

Carter, in the statement, also called on UN member states "to adhere to UN Security Council resolutions and to reject any unilateral Israeli implementation of the proposal by grabbing more Palestinian land."

He also said the US proposal violates international law regarding self-determination, the acquisition of land by force and annexation of occupied territories and also denies Palestinians equal rights.

This is a breaking story and will be updated

Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.