Local News

Firefighters treated after battling apartment fire

Smoking materials discarded on cardboard box on a deck caused a fire at a Durham apartment complex Saturday afternoon that left some people without a home.

Posted Updated

DURHAM, N.C. — Two firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion and another for a minor injury after battling an apartment fire in Durham Saturday afternoon.

The fire started just after 3 p.m. at the Farrington Lakes apartment complex in the 6000 block of Farrington Road.

Five different fire stations were called to help extinguish the blaze, which caused the roof of one unit to cave in.

“We have figured out that it was an accidental fire caused by improperly discarded smoking materials onto a cardboard box on the back deck,” Dan Curia, deputy chief of the Durham Fire Department, said.

No apartment residents were injured.

One resident affected by the fire was University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill football player Michael McAdoo. The sophomore posted a photo of the fire on his social networking Twitter page.

UNC linebacker Kevin Reddick also posted on Twitter that the fire burned everything he owned.

The apartment complex and the Triangle Red Cross were helping displaced residents find temporary housing.

Image

 Credits

Andrew Cumbee, Photographer
Minnie Bridgers, Web Editor

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.