Employee Chris Cormier, who works in the engineering department, suffered smoke inhalation while trying to extinguish the flames. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment as a precaution and was later released.
No other injuries were reported.
"We're relieved to hear that Chris is going to be OK," said Rick Gall, WRAL TV news director. "Thanks to his quick response and actions, the fire didn't spread. Firefighters then did a great job clearing out the smoke, and we were able to get back into the newsroom in time to produce tonight's newscasts."
Cormier was alerted to the fire at about 7:40 p.m. He located the source in a second-story storage room in the building, located in the 2600 block of Western Boulevard.
Dozens of staff – preparing for the late news and Football Friday and working on WRAL's live high school football broadcast, HSOT Live, were forced to the parking lot for about two hours while the Raleigh Fire Department cleared the building.
NBC Friday night programming won WRAL-TV was not affected.
Employees returned inside the building shortly after 9 p.m. The late newscasts aired at 10 p.m. on Fox 50 and 11 p.m. on WRAL-TV.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.