Local News

Fire forces family with 5 children out of Clayton home

Posted July 10, 2020 6:17 a.m. EDT
Updated July 10, 2020 8:50 a.m. EDT

— A family with five children survived a house fire that started in their garage overnight.

On Friday around 2 a.m., firefighters responded to the home on Lanier Place in the Riverwood community in Clayton.

The parents and children, who range in age from an infant to a teenager, got out safely.

Fires forces family with 5 children out of Clayton home

Although firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading outside the garage, the entire house has smoke damage. One car was scorched.

Officials said this is the second garage fire in Riverwood in weeks.

The Fire Marshall did not know what sparked the fire but said garage fires are common.

To reduce garage fires:

  • Store flammable items like oil, gasoline, propane, paint and varnishes in a shed or structure that isn’t connected to the rest of the house.
  • Don't store items on top of a washer or dryer
  • Never overload an outlet with multiple plugins
  • Avoid using extension cords in garages, especially when powering or charging appliances
  • Sweep your garage frequently to keep it clean and organized
Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.