Fire at hardware store started in repair shop
Authorities said the fire that destroyed a Wayne County hardware store late Thursday appeared to have originated in the repair shop where lawnmowers are worked on.Posted — Updated
The fire started around 11 p.m. at Kearney Paint and Hardware Company, 409 Highway 111 South. When firefighters arrived, they found flames crackling through the roof.
Assistant Fire Chief Eric Lancaster said it has been determined that the fire started after the owner, who was working late, left a lawnmower battery charging overnight in the repair shop.
Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.