Local News

FBI releases photo of eighth terror suspect

Posted August 13, 2009 1:51 p.m. EDT
Updated August 13, 2009 2:30 p.m. EDT

— The FBI on Thursday released a photo of a man wanted in connection with an alleged terrorism plot.

A federal grand jury indicted Jude Kenan Mohammad and seven other men last month, alleging that they were trying to wage a holy war overseas and tried to raise money, buy weapons and train in military tactics in North Carolina.

Authorities believe Mohammad, 20, of Wake County, is in Pakistan, but they asked anyone with information on his whereabouts call the FBI field office in Charlotte at 704-377-9200.

Relatives said Mohammad dropped out of Fuquay-Varina High School in 2006 and later earned his GED at Wilson Community College and attended Wake Technical Community College.

His family said he went to Pakistan last fall in hope that his father, a native of the country, would pay for him to attend college there.

Federal authorities said they believe he went to Pakistan to engage in terrorist activities.

Pakistani authorities arrested Mohammad last October after he went into a region on the border with Afghanistan and was found to be carrying a laptop computer, maps and CDs.

The other seven men charged in the case were arrested at locations around the Triangle on July 27. They have been ordered held without bond pending their trial, and most have been moved to a prison in Farmville, Va.