Fayetteville VA hospital plagued by smoke, water
For the second day in a row, operations at the Fayetteville Veteran Affairs Medical Center were disrupted Thursday because of a building problem.Posted — Updated
A faulty power strip overheated in a basement office shortly after 11 a.m., causing smoke to be released into nearby hallways, spokesman Ed Drohan said. All patients and staff members were removed from the immediate area in the interests of safety, he said.
The emergency room and inpatient care areas of the hospital weren't affected, Drohan said.
The emergency room reopened at 8 a.m. Thursday after being closed much of Wednesday because a broken water pipe flooded the area.
The 2.5-inch pipe on the second story of the hospital burst at about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Water flooded the radiology department and many outpatient clinics in the basement, Drohan said.
Most outpatient clinics reopened at noon Thursday, but the operating room remained closed until staffers could ensure everything in the area was sterilized, he said.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.