Fayetteville hotel evacuated for a second time
Posted December 17, 2009 3:53 p.m. EST
Fayetteville, N.C. — Fayetteville police said Thursday they had to again force out tenants of the Hotel Prince Charles, which has been ordered evacuated due to safety concerns.
Police said that tenants had re-occupied the hotel, which had been evacuated on Tuesday.
Fire officials say problems with the fire alarm system make the 450 Hay St. building unsafe. Officials said they alerted hotel owner John Chen in October about a possible problem with the system, but the problem was not addressed.
The building will be closed until the fire alarm system is repaired. It was unclear how long that could be.
Most of the rooms in the hotel were being rented by the month, and residents said they had little time Tuesday to gather their belongings.
The Regency Inn is offering Prince Charles residents temporary housing at a discounted rate.