Local News

Fayetteville hotel closed, 3 taken to hospital after carbon monoxide leak

Posted November 7, 2017 2:58 p.m. EST
Updated November 7, 2017 6:31 p.m. EST

— A Fayetteville hotel was evacuated and three people were taken to a local hospital after a carbon monoxide leak Tuesday morning.

Fire crews responded to a reported carbon monoxide alarm at the Residence Inn on Skibo Road at about 7:05 a.m.

Two people who suffered from carbon monoxide inhalation were taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center and were transferred to Duke University Hospital. A third person was treated at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center and released.

The carbon monoxide was coming from a water heating system that malfunctioned on the first floor, authorities said.

Investigators said the hotel has carbon monoxide detectors, but they did not go off. Instead someone had to pull the fire alarm.

"About 7 a.m. got the alarm going off, called down to the front desk and was told everybody needed to get out of the building," said Carl Kaiser, a hotel guest.

Carol Bowks was taken to the hospital with high levels of carbon monoxide in the blood.

"I'm just nauseated, very nauseated. My head is killing me," Bowks said.

Bowks was prescribed medication and was waiting to get her prescription on Tuesday afternoon.

The hotel was evacuated while crews investigated. Guests were able to get their belongings out around 12 p.m.

The hotel was closed while crews fix the problem.