Local News

Fayetteville fire department alerts vape pen users after battery explosion

Posted February 24, 2020 4:11 p.m. EST
Updated February 24, 2020 5:53 p.m. EST

— Fayetteville Fire Department wants to warn residents about the danger of vape pens after an incident on Thursday. This isn't the first time a vape battery has caught on fire or exploded.

Fayetteville resident Anthony Jones was at his home, at Harbour Pointe Condominiums trying to charge his vape pen's batteries. "The battery shot out of the charger like a rocket," said Jones.

When the firefighters arrived, Jones had used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out. In a Facebook post, Fayetteville Fire Department wrote that "The batteries were not charging, however they did catch on fire."

There are burn marks along the baseboard and carpet where it happened. Jones also said he was glad he was home because the fire could've been much worse.

Jones's roommate said that they aren't going to be charging or using that battery.

The crew that responded to the fire noticed the smoke alarms were chirping and replaced the batteries to ensure another layer of safety.

Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.