Local News

Fatal apartment fire was accidental

Investigators said they believe the fire started in the second-floor bedroom of the victim, Sarah Alford, 51.

Posted Updated

GARNER, N.C. — An apartment fire that apparently killed a Garner woman early Friday was accidental, authorities said.

Sarah Alford, 51, was found dead inside her second-floor bedroom at Greenbrier Apartments, 1948 Spring Drive, Garner police Sgt. Chris Clayton said.

Investigators said they believe the fire started in the bedroom. Alford was a smoker, they said, but they did not say whether that was a factor in the fire.

Police are waiting for an autopsy report to determine Alford's cause of death.

Alford's neighbor called 911 at 6:05 a.m., but officers were unable to get inside due to the smoke and heat.

"It was bad enough that (police officers initially at the scene) could not make entry to try to get in there," Clayton said. "They thought there was someone in there, and they tried to do that but the fire was too bad for them to get in."

Firefighters arrived and contained the fire.

Authorities believe Alford, who lived alone, might have been a retired teacher.


Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.