Fans to Toast Last 'Potter' Book
Posted July 17, 2007 3:15 p.m. EDT
Updated July 18, 2007 9:11 a.m. EDT
Pottermania is back and stronger than ever.
The July 11 release of “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” broke box-office records, with an estimated one-day total of $44.2 million in ticket sales. This week, the seventh and final installment of the Harry Potter book series hits stores and promises to claim its own place in the record books.
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," author J.K. Rowling’s final puzzle piece, arrives in stores nationwide Saturday. Booksellers around the Triangle are preparing for the event with pre-sales and parties.
• Midnight Release Celebration: A celebration with potions, owls, games, activities, crafts and a sorting hat starts at 7 p.m. Friday and leads up to the midnight sale. Barnes & Noble, 760 S.E. Maynard Road, Cary. 919-467-3866.
• Release Party: Prizes, activities and more from 9 p.m. to midnight Friday. Barnes & Noble, Crabtree Valley Mall, 4325 Glenwood Ave., Raleigh. 919-782-0030.
• Harry Potter Party: Festivities, including a raffle to win a trip for four to London, begin at 10 p.m. Friday in the parking lot of Quail Ridge Books, 3522 Wade Ave., Raleigh. 919-828-1588.
• Grand Hallows Ball: A Friday evening of wizardly activities, games and giveaways at all Borders locations: 1541 Beaver Creek Commons Drive, Apex, 919-363-8446; 1751 Walnut St., Cary, 919-469-1930; 404-101 E. Six Forks Road, Raleigh, 919-755-9424; and 8825 N. Six Forks Road, Raleigh, 919-845-1154.
• Harry Potter Countdown Mania: Four days of Potter movies leading up to the book release. “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” at 6 p.m. Tuesday; “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” at 6 p.m. Wednesday; “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” at 6 p.m. Thursday; and “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” at 3 p.m. Friday. Children’s program room of the Durham County Main Library, 300 N. Roxboro St. 919-560-0100.
• Closing the Book: A free party featuring a magic show, costume contest, trivia, wizard crafts, door prizes, snacks and more. 9-11 a.m., Saturday. Emily Krzyzewski Center, 904 W. Chapel Hill St., Durham. 919-560-0122.
• Midnight Magic Party: Dress as your favorite character and be prepared for magical events, starting at 8 p.m. Friday. Bracelets will be handed out at 4 p.m. for places in line at midnight. Barnes & Noble, 5400 New Hope Commons, Durham. 919-489-3012.
• Midnight Madness: Fortune telling, costumes, sorting hat and readings from the first six books begin at midnight Friday at Regulator Bookshop, 720 Ninth St., Durham. 919-286-2700.
• Grand Hallows Ball: A Friday evening of wizardly activities, games and giveaways. Waldenbooks, 1058 West Club Blvd., Durham, 919-286-5868.
• Midnight Magic: Activities, prizes, giveaways and more Potter fun. Barnes & Noble, The Streets at Southpoint, 8030 Renaissance Pkwy., Durham. 919-806-1930.
• Harry Potter Release Party: An evening of contests, activities, performances and refreshments starts at 8 p.m. Friday at Market Street Books, 610 Market St., Chapel Hill. 919-933-5111.
• Pre-Midnight Madness: Music, costume contest, character appearances, door prizes and more. 10 p.m.-midnight Friday and 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. Brick Alley Books, 121 N. Churton St., Hillsborough. 919-245-0062.
• Grand Hallows Ball: A Friday evening of wizardly activities, games and giveaways. Borders,1807 Fordham Blvd., Chapel Hill. 919-929-8332.