Local News

Electrical fire quickly controlled at American Tobacco Campus

An electrical fire in downtown Durham was quickly extinguished in the noon hour Monday, Paul Pope, general manager of the American Tobacco Historic District said.

Posted Updated

DURHAM, N.C. — An electrical fire in downtown Durham was quickly extinguished in the noon hour Monday, Paul Pope, general manager of the American Tobacco Historic District said.

Movers working at the Symposium Café at the American Tobacco Campus ruptured a gas line Monday, sparking an electrical fire, Pope said.

Three buildings on Blackwell Street were evacuated just before noon, and firefighters responded to the scene. A few wires were damaged, Pope said.

Workers were allowed back into the buildings after the scene was secured.

Copyright 2022 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.