Missing Durham 10-year-old found safe
Posted June 1, 2013 5:09 p.m. EDT
Updated June 2, 2013 1:14 p.m. EDT
Durham, N.C. — An Amber Alert for a 10-year-old missing in Durham was canceled Saturday evening after the girl was found safe, police said.
The alert was issued for Tamyra Suitt at 5:45 p.m. Saturday. It stated that the child may have been abducted by the operator of a blue Ford Explorer. Less than an hour after the alert was issued the child was found safe.
"(The past 24 hours have been) very stressful, but we are relieved and blessed," Tamyra's uncle, Andre Suitt, said.
Andre Suitt's said Tamyra's mother let her go to the nearby East End Park to play in the water sprinklers. Tamyra was told to be home by 7 p.m. Friday night.
"She never came home and my mother called me and we started looking for her around 9 p.m.," Andre Suitt said. "We searched all night long for her."
It was nearly 24 hours later that Tamyra was reunited with her family. She was found at a friend's home Saturday evening.
According to police, the people living in that home called detectives after they saw news reports and learned that an Amber Alert had been issued.
The investigation is ongoing, but police said no charges will be filed.