Durham 18-year-old killed in single-car wreck
Posted May 5, 2018 7:33 p.m. EDT
Updated May 5, 2018 9:25 p.m. EDT
Durham, N.C. — An 18-year-old was killed in a single-car wreck in Durham early Saturday morning, police said.
Authorities have identified the victim as Marvin Cruz of Durham.
Shortly before 2:30 p.m., officers responded to the wrecked car in the wooded near N.C. Highway 147 South and the exit ramp to Fulton Street.
The car had been reported to authorities as abandoned.
Cruz was operating the 2002 Jeep Liberty on N.C. 147 South near Fulton Street sometime during the early morning hours Saturday when he struck the left guardrail.
Police said he lost control of the vehicle and traveled sideways across four lanes. The car eventually left the road and went up and over a large embankment.
He then continued down the other side of the hill and stopped in the wooded area.
Authorities said speed was a factor in the crash, but it is unknown if alcohol or drugs were factors.
Anyone with information is asked to call Investigator Munter at (919) 560-4935, ext. 29409 or Crime Stoppers at (919) 683-1200.