Local News

Durham DA says charges remain for seven involved in toppling Confederate statue

Posted November 14, 2017 10:10 a.m. EST
Updated November 14, 2017 10:59 p.m. EST

— The Durham District Attorney said Tuesday morning that media reports saying that felony charges had been dropped for seven people involved in toppling a Confederate statue were premature.

Roger Echols said he cannot discuss the charges but that the seven people were in court on Tuesday. Their case was continued to Dec. 5.

Multiple people spoke during a rally outside of the courthouse and announced the charges had been dropped.

"It is not a crime to remove the relics of a system that is oppressive and unjust," one person said.

Following the small rally in Durham, some people took their message to Chapel Hill, renewing a call for Silent Sam to come down.

Joe Karlik, who is charged in the Durham case, said there will now be protestors stationed at Silent Sam every hour, during daylight hours.

Charges against three others—Aaron Alexander Caldwell, Myles Spigner and Taylor Cook—were dropped last month. Echols said that probable cause exists, but there was not enough evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Two other people were originally charged in the case, but it's unclear where their cases stand.