National News

Dog suddenly dies during trip to Petco for vaccination

Posted June 14, 2018 8:01 p.m. EDT

— Chi Chi always loved a good scratch, but her family now only has pictures to remember her after they say she died during a trip to Petco.

"I looked down and my dog is laying down on the ground covered in blood," Jennifer DeLeon said.

DeLeon took her dog to a vaccination clinic to Petco's Leominster location Tuesday. She said she went to shop for collars while Chi Chi got a rabies vaccine, but she and a friend she was with soon heard commotion.

"And they're like, 'we're sorry, but your dog's not going to make it,'" DeLeon said.

It's not clear what exactly happened, but in a statement, Petco said, "The health and safety of pets is always our top priority and we take this situation very seriously. We're conducting a thorough investigation to understand everything we can about Chi Chi's untimely passing."

The family had Chi Chi for eight years, and the loss is devastating and nothing they could've expected during a trip to a pet store.

"It's just a rabies shot, simple," DeLeon said. "She's had it done there before so I felt safe."