DA: Suspect to plead guilty in slaying of Fort Bragg soldier Kelli Bordeaux
Posted August 3, 2015 2:45 p.m. EDT
Fayetteville, N.C. — The man charged in the disappearance and slaying of Fort Bragg soldier Kelli Bordeaux is expected to plead guilty in the case on Friday, Cumberland County District Attorney Billy West said Monday.
Nicholas Michael Holbert will enter his plea before Cumberland County Superior Court Judge Jim Ammons and has agreed to accept a sentence of life in prison without parole, West said.
Bordeaux had been missing for more than two years when her remains were found last year and Holbert was charged with first-degree murder and first-degree kidnapping.
A combat medic with Fort Bragg's 601st Area Support Medical Company 44th Medical Brigade, Bordeaux was last seen leaving a bar at 6326 Ramsey St. in north Fayetteville called Froggy Bottoms on April 14, 2012.
Her remains were found May 14, 2014, in a deeply wooded area off River Road near the Interstate 295 corridor – about 4 miles from the bar.
Holbert, 28, had been interviewed numerous times by investigators since her disappearance. Fayetteville Police Chief Harold Medlock said last year that Holbert "shared vital information" and was at the scene with detectives when they found Bordeaux's remains.
An autopsy determined she died of blunt force trauma to the head.