Local News

DA asks for Cooper warrants to stay sealed

Posted August 15, 2008 9:48 a.m. EDT
Updated August 18, 2008 2:17 p.m. EDT

— Wake County's district attorney filed a motion Friday afternoon asking that three search warrants stay sealed for an additional 30 days in the ongoing police investigation of a slain Cary woman.

The motion comes a day before a July 16 warrant for the home and vehicles of Nancy Cooper was to be made public.

Cooper, 34, was found dead in an undeveloped subdivision just outside Cary’s town limit on July 14, two days after a friend reported her missing when she failed to show up for a meeting.

District Attorney Colon Willoughby has asked that no part of the warrants be released, saying that keeping the information private now is crucial to the investigation.

Last month, Senior Resident Wake County Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens ordered the documents sealed for 30 days. Earlier Friday, he extended the order for the July 16 warrant until Monday because of a scheduling conflict.

Last month, Capitol Broadcasting Co., the parent company of WRAL News, and The News & Observer Publishing Co. filed a motion for the three warrants in the case to be released.

A hearing is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. Monday on the issue of the warrants being sealed.

The two other warrants, which are scheduled to be released this month, are for the office of Cooper's husband, Brad Cooper, at Cisco Systems in Research Triangle Park and another for an undisclosed location.

Authorities have said they do not believe Cooper's slaying was a random crime, but they have not named a suspect or person of interest in the case. They've said little else about the case since then.