Wake school board, commissioners to meet on school bond
Posted December 11, 2012 4:12 p.m. EST
Updated December 11, 2012 4:34 p.m. EST
Raleigh, N.C. — Leaders of the Wake County Board of Commissioners and Board of Education will meet next week to discuss a potential $1 billion bond referendum to build 25 new schools over the next ten years.
Both boards recently elected new leaders – Keith Sutton to the school board and Joe Bryan to the county commission.
The school board says school construction is needed to ease overcrowding and prepare for the projected influx of 3,000 to 5,000 new students entering the school system each year.
In September, former County Commission Chairman Paul Coble put off any discussion of the school construction bond after the school board's controversial decisions to scrap its "controlled-choice" student assignment plan and to fire Superintendent Tony Tata.
Bryan, however, said last week that working with the school board is top on his priority list.
"It's my goal to re-establish and restore important partnerships with the school system as we move forward on education bonds for next fall,” he said in a statement.
The meeting is scheduled for Dec. 21.