Local News

Crews respond to chemical leak

Posted December 15, 2008 12:30 p.m. EST
Updated December 15, 2008 2:06 p.m. EST

— Hazardous materials crews responded to an accidental chemical spill Monday, authorities said.

The incident occurred shortly before noon at Bling Bling Mobile Detailing, at 1401 Diggs Drive, where an unknown substance overflowed from a 55-gallon drum and created a vapor. The business, as well as two others, was evacuated, but there were no reports of injuries.

The chemical spill was clean and the area reopened by 1:30 p.m.

Authorities said employees were mixing two chemicals to create a concrete coating and that they made too much of it. It overflowed, producing heat, fumes and smoke. The mixture was harmless, they said.