Easter is such a fun holiday for crafts. There are so many colorful, enjoyable projects to do with children this time of year.
For our Easter craft, we decided to make homemade Easter baskets. I love making crafts for the people in our lives. So we are going to share these with friends and family. We made bug and bunny baskets.
For each basket you will need:
- 1 plastic water jug
- Googly eyes
- Felt - Three pieces of the color you want the bunny to be and then one piece for the middle of the ears and one for the color you want the mouth to be. For the bugs, you will need two pieces for the color of the bug and then one piece for the spots or stripes.
- Two extra water jug caps
- One pom pom
Here's what you do:
- Cut the water jug in half.
- Use hot glue to fold the felt around the bottom half of the jug. Fold it almost as if you are wrapping a present with paper. For typically sized felt, you will need two pieces for this or one large piece. Start underneath and fold it over the top, gluing as you go. This will not cover the bottom inside of the jug, add another piece of felt if you would like to have it completely covered.
- After you have the felt glued over the bottom part of the jug, create a handle for your basket by using the top half of the jug. Do this by cutting the top of the jug length wise into an inch-wide strip. This will give you a natural rounded handle. I cut right along the mouth of the jug because this gives you the longest piece.
- After you cut the piece for the handle, cover it with felt by using hot glue. Then glue the felt covered handle onto the top sides of the bottom half of the jug. You want to make sure it is very secure. You can even use paper fasteners by cutting a small hole and fastening them to the handle and base. This will make the handle stay on and give it flexibility.
- For the ears, use what is left of the top part of the jug by cutting the pieces for the ears out. You can make these as big or small as you would like but I found that using the sides along the mouth of the jug gave me bigger ears. I cut mine in an oval shape and then shaped them further after I had them separated.
- Cover the plastic piece for the ears with felt and then for more of an “ear like” look add a center piece with a different color.
- Glue the ears on to the top of the handle. To make them stand up straight glue the bottom part of the plastic ears underneath the handle by folding them under, rather than on top.
- I used a pom pom for the nose of the bunny and googly eyes, but if you prefer a more recyclable craft use the caps from other water jugs as the eyes and nose by covering the eyes with white felt and adding a black circle in the center with more felt. We did this for the bugs.
- We then made the mouths by cutting out a circle from a piece of felt.
For the bugs we made a bee and a lady bug. The bee was my personal favorite and we made the stripes by cutting long pieces of black felt and gluing them around the yellow base. For the lady bug, we used a red felt covered base and just added black spots.
The kids really enjoyed making these and they are simple! I think these are great for gifts if you want to add your own personal touch.