Plenty of free TV channels to watch
Posted April 8, 2020 11:27 a.m. EDT
Updated April 8, 2020 4:41 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — People are spending more time at home and more time with the TV. Thankfully for viewers, there are more options than ever.
Thanks to the advent of digital television, local stations like WRAL and FOX50 are able to broadcast more than just one channel of TV programming. We offer a total of six channels, each offering different options. Here's what you'll find:
- 5.1: This is the main WRAL channel, with WRAL News and NBC programming.
- 5.2: Cozi TV airs classic TV shows, like "Frasier," "Murder, She Wrote" and "Charlie's Angels."
- 5.3: Start TV runs dramas and police shows, like "Crossing Jordan," "The Good Wife" and "Medium."
- 50.1: This is the main FOX50 channel, with Fox programming and WRAL News.
- 50.2: MeTV has classic shows, such as "M*A*S*H," "Gunsmoke" and "The Andy Griffith Show."
- 50.3: DABL airs lifestyle programs, including "Martha Stewart Living" and "Emeril Live."
These channels are available for free over the air. Simply connect an inexpensive TV antenna to your set, scan for channels and enjoy. Spectrum cable subscribers also can watch some of these channels.
MeTV on Channel 50.2 is the nation's most-watched classic TV network. Not surprisingly, the most-watched MeTV show in this area is "The Andy Griffith Show," which airs nightly between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. Neal Sabin runs Chicago-based MeTV. He said the network's dose of nostalgia might be exactly what viewers need in turbulent times.
"To go back to simpler times or times that maybe didn't even really exist, but maybe you wish they did," Sabin said. "Doesn't everybody wish they lived in Mayberry?"