Free online workout videos and fitness resources
Posted April 4, 2020 2:28 p.m. EDT
Updated April 7, 2020 11:27 a.m. EDT
With fitness centers and gyms across the country shut down due to the coronavirus pandemic, many fitness studios, apps and instructors are offering free online workout videos and exercise resources. The benefits of exercise are well-documented and in times of stress, the well-being that exercise offers is even more important.
In the list below, you'll find free exercise and nutrition resources to help all ages stay healthy while staying at home including PE classes, HIIT, yoga, meditation, cardio dance, senior workouts, boot camp, Tai Chi and more.
* CorePower Yoga: Check out the CorePower Yoga Live YouTube Channel where they will be streaming classes each day at 10 am, 3 pm and 8 pm ET. You can also see the previously streamed yoga videos. While their studios are closed, they are also offering free access to a number of online classes on their website.
* CorePower Yoga and Growga: Two local fitness groups are teaming up to provide online virtual content to help at risk communities in our area. CorePower Yoga, a franchise with more than 200 locations, and local youth-focused startup Growga will begin offering twice weekly classes designed to keep the whole family moving. The classes are free with the suggestion that participants donate what they can to local nonprofits working to meet the needs of populations throughout the Triangle particularly hurt by the current COVID-19 pandemic. Classes will take place each week on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 a.m. and will begin this Tuesday, March 31. See all the details HERE.
* Gold's Gym: Use the Gold's Gym AMP app for free through the end of May with hundreds of workouts. Sign up on their website and use the promo code FIT60 during registration.
* Life Time: This nationwide athletic club, with multiple locations in the Triangle, is offering a large assortment of on-demand workouts available at no charge to the public on their website HERE and the Life Time YouTube channel Members can also access them via their app. Their signature group fitness formats (Alpha and GTX) along with kettlebell kombine, gluteus maxout, en barre, flow and root yoga, meditation Pilates, and a new series of family workouts (to help parents engage the kiddos) are available to stream at any time.
* lululemon: The athletic clothing brand is offering free Instagram live workouts, yoga, meditation and more each day.
* My Fitness Pal: This very popular free app allows users to easily track food intake and calories burned while exercising, breakdown ingredients, log activities, find healthy recipes and get support in their discussion groups.
* O2 Fitness: Locations across the Carolinas are offering free daily streamed and on-demand workouts- everything from soothing yoga, to Silver Sneakers, to high-intensity classes. Personal, 1:1 training sessions are also available via live stream that offer custom exercises and nutrition guidance during this time. See the workouts, including live-stream classes, on the O2 Fitness Facebook page and on-demand workouts on their website. See all the details at go2.o2fitnessclubs.com.
* Orangetheory: In addition to posting new free workout videos every day, Orangetheory has a number of articles available on their website to help you in your fitness journey. See all the details on their website or download the app.
* Peloton: Get a free 90 trial of the Peloton app with thousands of live and on-demand classes for running, strength, toning, cycling, yoga, meditation and outdoor workouts.
* Planet Fitness: Watch free online at-home workouts from Planet Fitness that are open to anyone, including non-members. The workouts are live-streamed on their Facebook page at 7 pm ET each day. They will also be available to watch later, if you cannot join in the live stream. No equipment is needed and the classes last 20 minutes or less.
* SELF: You'll find a good selection of cardio, strength & conditioning, HIIT cardio, boot camp, dumbell workouts and more on the SELF YouTube Channel.
* The Body Coach TV: These free workout videos from Joe, The Body Coach include HIIT workouts, PE classes for the kids at home, workouts for seniors, pregnancy workouts and more. Most of the workouts can be done anywhere and with no equipment.
* YMCA: You'll find a wide variety of free fitness classes and resources on the YMCA360 website including yoga, boot camp, kid's activities, youth sports performance, fitness for older adults, barre, cycle, weightlifting, Tai Chi and more.
YogaJoy: Tune in to the free YouTube Channel from YogaJoy for Kids with videos for kids of all ages. Marney Whitney, who owns YogaJoy is a Chapel Hill mom who offers yoga and mindfulness for preschoolers, families and tweens and teens.
* Yoga With Adriene: The Yoga With Adriene YouTube Channel provides free practices on yoga and mindfulness for all skill levels. She has over 6 million subscribers and the videos are listed in helpful categories including Nurture, Yoga for Beginners, Yoga for Back Pain, Yoga for Weight Loss, Yoga to Heal Stress and many more.
* Becky's Workouts "Dance Jam": Check out this free "Dance Moves" fitness video from Becky Ring, a Group Fitness Instructor in Colorado. She also happens to be the wife of a former high school classmate of mine. Becky has great energy, the cardio workout is fun and it definitely works up a sweat. No equipment is needed. I'll be doing this workout regularly.