Durham schools pass Plan B, allowing parents to opt for in-person or virtual learning next semester
On Thursday the Durham Public School Board of Education voted 4-3 in favor of the possible return of elementary students to in-person learning as part of the district's Plan B recommendation for the remainder of the school year.Posted — Updated
Next semester, in-person learning could become an option for parents, but only if COVID-19 cases remain below 4 percent for two weeks.
The board amended the plan requiring them to revisit the plan moving forward on December 10 and January 7 to evaluate COVID-19 data.
This plan allows the possible return of pre-K through fifth-grade students in January 2021 through a hybrid model, along with the continuation of virtual learning.
"Cohort A will attend Mondays and Tuesdays and Cohort B will attend Thursdays and Fridays," said officials in a statement.
The plan allows families to choose whether in-person learning or remote learning is right for their children.
Durham schools have also developed a dashboard, where families and staff can find important information and COVID-19 updates.
Plan B has several key components for safety during in-person learning, including:
- Face coverings are required while on campus and school buses
- Signs will offer reminders to wear masks, wash hands and maintain social distance
- Directional signage will help avoid cluttered hallways.
- Schools have designated classrooms for 'Exceptional Children' that will be equipped with PPE and HEPA filtration systems
- Touchless thermometers will be used to check staff and student’s temperature
- Hand sanitizer stations will be set up for use in various areas of our schools
- Training for staff on the proper use of PPE, handwashing, disinfecting, and social distancing will occur before the return of in-person learning.
- Schools/facilities will be frequently cleaned and disinfected
- Outdoor air intakes have been increased and schools will be using MERV-13 air filters that capture airborne viruses and bacteria from coughs and sneezes.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.