Durham resumes feeding program for students out of school
Schools are closed across the state because of the coronavirus pandemic, and that means many children who rely on free or reduced school breakfasts and lunches may be going hungry during the closure. Wake County, Johnston County and Wayne County schools have all announced places to ensure that food is available to those in need.Posted — Updated
Schools are closed across the state because of the coronavirus pandemic, and that means many children who rely on free or reduced school breakfasts and lunches may be going hungry during the closure. Wake County, Johnston County and Wayne County schools have all announced places to ensure that food is available to those in need.
Durham County Food Distribution
- Bethesda Elementary, 2009 S. Miami Blvd.
- Eno Valley Elementary, 117 Milton Rd.
- Githens Middle, 4800 Old Chapel Hill Rd.
- R.N. Harris Elementary, 1520 Cooper St.
- Hillside High, 3727 Fayetteville St.
- Parkwood Elementary, 5207 Revere Rd.
- Sandy Ridge Elementary, 1417 Old Oxford Hwy.
- Burton Elementary, 1500 Mathison St.
- Lakeview School, 3507 Dearborn Dr.
- Shepard Middle, 2401 Dakota St.
- Southern School of Energy and Sustainability, 800 Clayton Rd.
- Southwest Elementary, 2320 Cook Rd.
Families may pick up meals at the following schools on Tuesdays and Fridays:
- Brogden Middle, 1001 Leon St.
- Eastway Elementary, 610 Alston Ave.
- Glenn Elementary, 2415 E. Geer St.
- Holt Elementary, 4019 Holt School Rd.
- Y.E. Smith Elementary, 2410 E. Main St.
- C.C. Spaulding Elementary, 1531 S. Roxboro St.
- Club Blvd. Elementary, 400 W. Club Blvd.
- Hillandale Elementary, 2730 Hillandale Rd.
- Holton Career & Resource Center, 401 N. Driver St.
- KIPP Durham, 1107 Holloway St.
- Maureen Joy Charter School, 107 S. Driver St.
- Lakewood Middle, 2119 Chapel Hill Rd.
Wake County Food Distribution
The following sites are offering lunch and breakfast for pickup for students aged 18 and under - 11 a.m. to 1 p.m, Monday through Friday:
- Poe Magnet Elementary School, 400 Peyton St., Raleigh
- Rogers Lane Elementary School, 201 N. Rogers Lane, Raleigh
- Creech Road Elementary School, 450 Creech Road, Garner
- Wendell Middle School, 3409 NC Hwy. 97, Wendell
- Zebulon Magnet Elementary School, 700 Proctor St., Zebulon
- Millbrook Magnet Elementary School, 1520 E. Millbrook Dr., Raleigh
- Briarcliff Elementary School, 1220 Pond St., Cary
- Pine Acres Community Center, 402 McLean St., Fuquay-Varina
- PAVE SE Raleigh Charter School, 3420 Idlewood Village Dr., Raleigh
- Wake County Human Services Northern Regional Center, 350 Holding Ave., Wake Forest
- Washington Terrace Apartments, 1951 Booker Dr., Raleigh
- Raleigh Millbank Apartments, 1500 N. Raleigh Blvd., Raleigh
- The Oaks Apartments, 3911 Water Oak Dr., Raleigh
- New Hope Village Apartments, 4321 Grandiflora Lane, Raleigh
- Casa De Luna Apartments, 3918 Bonneville Court, Raleigh
- Juniper Level Baptist Church, 9104 Sauls Road, Raleigh
Starting Monday, March 23, these sites also will provide food for students:
- Athens Drive High, 1420 Athens Drive, Raleigh
- Baileywick Elementary, 9425 Baileywick Rd, Raleigh
- Bugg Elementary, 825 Cooper Rd, Raleigh
- Dillard Drive Elementary, 5018 Dillard Dr, Raleigh
- Forestville Elementary, 100 Lawson Ridge Rd, Knightdale
- Fox Road Elementary, 7101 Fox Rd, Raleigh
- Fuller Elementary, 806 Calloway Dr, Raleigh
- Hodge Road Elementary, 2128 Mingo Bluff Blvd, Knightdale
- Hunter Elementary, 1018 E Davie St, Raleigh
- Knightdale Elementary, 109 Ridge Street, Knightdale
- Reedy Creek Elementary, 930 Reedy Creek Rd, Cary
Confirmed Community Sites provided by Kirk of Kildaire Presbyterian Church will have lunch for pickup available to any students aged 18 and under:
- First United Methodist, 117 S. Academy St., Cary, Mon.-Fri., 12:15 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.
- Chatham Forest Apartments, 880 Glendale Dr., Cary, Tues. and Thurs., 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p .m.
- Apex First Baptist, 419 S. Salem St., Apex, Mon. and Wed., 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Arbors at Cary Apartments, 200 Wrenn Dr., Cary, Mon.- Thurs., 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Crosstimber Apartments 900 Golden Horseshoe Cir, Morrisville, NC 27560 - Mon.-Fri. 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle's Mobile Market is available to all community members at the following times and locations:
- Abundant Life Cathedral, 4400 Old Poole Road, Raleigh, Fourth Saturdays (beginning 3/28/20)., 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Bread for Life Mobile Market at Zebulon Boys & Girls Club, 1320 Shepard School Road, Zebulon, Third Saturdays (beginning 3/21/20) 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Community Helpers Service Center, 111 N. First Ave., Knightdale, Drive-thru, Thursdays (beginning 3/19/20), 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Martin Street Baptist Church, 1001 E. Martin St., Raleigh, Second Saturdays (beginning 4/11/20), 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Praise Temple Mobile Market, 1329, U.S. Hwy 70, Fourth Saturdays (beginning 3/28/20), 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Wake Forest Baptist Church, 107 S. Ave., Wake Forest, Third Tuesdays (beginning 3/17/20), 4:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Johnston County Food Distribution
And Johnston County Public Schools also announced plans for food distribution sites as well. JCPS has designated 11 schools as meal service sites. Grab-and-go meals will be available for students at no cost for curbside pickup beginning Wednesday, March 18 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the following locations:
- Benson Middle
- Cooper Academy
- Corinth-Holders Elementary
- Four Oaks Elementary
- Meadow Elementary
- North Johnston Middle
- Pine Level Elementary
- Princeton Elementary
- Selma Elementary
- Smithfield-Selma High
- West Smithfield Elementary
Wayne County Food Distribution
Here are the locations:
- Charles B. Aycock High
- Carver Elementary
- Carver Heights Elementary
- Eastern Wayne High
- Grantham Middle
- Meadow Lane Elementary
- Rosewood Elementary
- Spring Creek Middle
- Tommy’s Road Elementary
- Wayne Academy
As possible, the curbside pickup will occur in areas closest to the cafeteria. Next week, the schedule for designated sites will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday during these same times. Parents who are unable to travel to a pick-up site, but who are in need of meal assistance for their child should contact 919-705-6139.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.