@NCCapitol

@NCCapitol

Cooper: NC unemployment checks could include extra money as soon as next week

Posted August 26, 2020 5:29 p.m. EDT
Updated August 26, 2020 5:40 p.m. EDT

— Gov. Roy Cooper said Wednesday that he expects North Carolinians on unemployment will see the $300 federal boost in their checks next week.

"We're hoping that's when that's going to happen," Cooper said Wednesday afternoon, during a news conference on his new budget proposal.

That money won't last long. So far, the federal government has approved only enough money to cover three weeks of payments, all of which have already passed. The benefits will be paid retroactively.

Congress may eventually approve more funding, and it's possible that the North Carolina General Assembly will increase state-funded benefits when they gather for another legislative session next week.

A $600-a-week unemployment boost, also funded by the federal government, ran out in late July. President Donald Trump announced the $300 increase, funded out of a federal disaster account, when Congress failed to strike a bargain on extending at least some of that boost.

Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.