Clinton High Closed Thursday Following Mercury Scare
Posted April 3, 2008 6:16 a.m. EDT
Clinton, N.C. — Clinton High School was closed Thursday, a day after a student brought was what believed to be a container of mercury to school, authorities said.
The Environmental Protection Agency plans to test for mercury at the school and perform any clean-up measures.
So far no one has shown any symptoms of mercury poisoning or exposure.
The area where the student went on Wednesday was immediately isolated so no other students would come in contact with the toxic metal, authorities said.
Authorities said they believe three other students handled the bottle the material was in, but none came in contact with the mercury.
All four students met with Sampson County Health Department officials, and all Clinton High students and faculty were told about the symptoms of mercury poisoning so they could seek medical help if needed.
There was no word Thursday on possible charges against the student who brought the material to school, nor was there information about what the student planned to do with the mercury.