Cigarette sparks fire at Raleigh assisted living center
Some residents of a north Raleigh assisted living center were forced to leave Thursday afternoon when a discarded cigarette sparked a fire, police said.Posted — Updated
An employee of Elmcroft of Northridge, at 600 Newton Road, was smoking in a designated area outside the building when his cigarette fell into a crack in the pavement. It smoldered and eventually ignited a number of other cigarette butts that had accumulated in the crack, police said.
A fire extinguisher was used to put out the fire, police said. No injuries were reported, and the building wasn't damaged.
The fire forced police to close two blocks of Newton Road for about an hour.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.