Child Dies After Falling Into Swimming Pool
Posted April 19, 2008 10:23 p.m. EDT
Updated April 21, 2008 11:49 a.m. EDT
Parkton, N.C. — An 18-month-old boy died Saturday after falling into a swimming pool at his Cumberland County home.
Nicholas Vest, of 4821 Desert Ridge Road in Parkton, was playing with a garden hose while his mother was cleaning out the family swimming pool, Cumberland County officials said.
The child’s mother, Sue Ellen Ramer, told investigators she left Nicholas to take her younger child inside the house. When she returned she could not find Nicholas. Family and friends began searching for him when he was finally discovered in the bottom of the algae-filled pool.
Emergency crews were called to the home shortly after 6:00 p.m. while Ramer administered CPR.
The child was unresponsive as he was transported to the Cape Fear Valley Medical Center. Doctors stabilized Nicholas after he arrived at the hospital and placed him on life support in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Saturday evening.
Cumberland County sheriff's detectives confirmed the child's death at 10:30 p.m.
No foul play was suspected and no charges will be filed against the parents, investigators said.