The Carrboro Fire Department has a program to help residents make sure smoke alarms are properly placed and working and to install them if people have no alarms.
April 26, they put an alarm in an second floor apartment at the 800 block of West Main Street, Deputy Chief Trey Mayo said. April 30, employees at a downstairs business heard the alarm sounding and called 911. Firefighters found the stove had been left on and unattended in the apartment and a small fire had begun, Mayo said.
They cleared the smoke from the apartment and, before they left, replaced the battery in the smoke detector, he said.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.