Carolina Ballet's upcoming season won't include family series
The Carolina Ballet, which celebrates its 15th anniversary during the upcoming season, won't have specially designated family shows.Posted — Updated
But next season, which opens in September, won't include a specially designated family series, though all of the shows are appropriate for children.
The ballet tells me that there's no one reason for the change. There are some special programs planned next season as part of the 15th anniversary celebration.
And the family favorite Nutcracker will open earlier than usual next season. The ballet, which will again feature magical elements, will open on Thanksgiving weekend. For the past several years, that weekend has been reserved for one of the ballet's children's shows.
I will miss the family shows next season. They are a great way to expose kids to ballet with familiar stories that help spark and keep their interest. I hope we see them again.
Here's what next season's schedule at the Progress Energy Center for Performing Arts in Raleigh looks like:
- An Evening of Robert Weiss, September 13-30, 2012
- Dancers at a Gathering, October 11-28, 2012
- Nutcracker, November 23-25 & December 14-23, 2012 (Two performances also are scheduled at the Durham Performing Arts Center on Dec. 27)
- An Evening of Lynne Taylor-Corbett, February 7-24, 2013
- A Balanchine Celebration, March 7-24, 2013
- Fancy Free & Carolina Jamboree, April 18-21, 2013
- Giselle, May 16-19, 2013
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.