Tax Guide

Extensions can give taxpayers more time to file

Posted February 1, 2011 9:28 p.m. EST
Updated February 8, 2011 9:31 p.m. EST

— The Internal Revenue Service grants extensions for people who can't file their taxes by the April 18 deadline. However, payment is still due by April 18, even if an extension to file is granted.

Taxpayers who want an extension should file Form 4868, which can be submitted online, by mail or by paying part of taxes owed through an outside service provider.

Military personnel serving overseas should visit the IRS website for information about extensions.

Several tax filing software companies and tax professionals offer ways to file Form 4868 electronically.