Bomb threats at Wake jail, Franklinton High found to be hoaxes
Inmates at the Wake County Detention Center had to undergo tighter security while students at Franklinton High School got to go home early Friday after bomb threats at the jail and the school.Posted — Updated
Sheriff Gerald Baker said the jail received a call from an unidentified number at about 12:30 p.m. indicating a bomb was in the adjacent parking garage.
Deputies immediately secured the area, and the sheriff's office called State Capitol Police and North Carolina State University police to borrow K-9 to help search for possible explosive devices.
The dogs spent 90 minutes checking the parking garage, the booking area where those who are arrested first come in and the perimeter of the jail property without finding anything, Baker said.
"I feel safe in saying that it was perhaps just a prank call," the sheriff said at an afternoon news conference. "There doesn't appear to be any threat at all."
While the search was underway, people visiting the jail were told to leave and had to wait across the street.
Authorities were still trying to determine who called in the threat on Friday evening.
The situation was similar earlier in the day at Franklinton High, where school was dismissed at noon, about an hour after a report of a bomb threat.
A school spokesman said the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office began investigating the threat just before 11 a.m.
School officials immediately evacuated the building.
While no bomb was found, deputies recommended that classes be dismissed for the day, and students were sent home.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.