Best Cash Back Sign-On Bonus Credit Cards of April 2018
Posted March 31, 2018 8:09 p.m. EDT
Do you normally use your credit card for making every day purchases? Can you manage your money responsibly and pay off your balance in full every month? If so, you should be using a rewards credit card to take advantage of the free cash back and bonuses that are offered.
Many credit card companies are offering cash back rewards and sign-up bonuses these days. You can earn an equivalent of $400 or more just keeping to your regular spending. It’s essentially free money, as long as you use your credit card correctly.
Let’s take a look at how you can be a responsible consumer first, and then we’ll review the credit cards with the best cash back sign-on bonuses.
How to Be Responsible With Your Credit Card
Before we recommend credit cards with the best sign-on bonus, we want to make sure you understand exactly how rewards credit cards should and shouldn’t be used.
You shouldn’t try and take advantage of a rewards credit card by charging anything and everything to it. Yes, you acquire cash back or points based on your purchases, but you’re also acquiring debt if you charge more than you can afford.
You should use a rewards credit card exactly as you would use any other credit card (or your debit card). Only swipe for what you can afford to pay at the end of your billing cycle.
While many of these cards have 0% introductory APRs, after the introductory period is over, you’ll have high APRs (in the 14% – 24% range). If you carry a balance, any cash back you receive will be negated by the interest you’ll have to pay.
Only charge your necessary expenditures and stick to your budget. Don’t look for extra opportunities to pay more just for the sake of getting points.
You want to take advantage of credit card companies – not have it the other way around.
Best Cash Back Sign-On Bonuses
Now that you know how to use rewards cards, let’s review the best options out there.[UberVisa]Uber Visa Card[/UberVisa]
- You have to spend $500 on purchases in the first 90 days to receive the $100 bonus.
- There is no annual fee.
- Earn 4% back on restaurants, takeout and bars, including UberEATS; 3% back on hotel and airfare, including vacation home rentals; 2% back for online purchases including Uber, online shopping, video and streaming music services; and 1% back for everything else.
- Earn up to a $50 credit for online subscription services after you spend $5,000 or more on your card per year.
- The variable APR is 16.24% – 24.99%.
- There is no foreign transaction fee.
This card is not only great for its sign-up bonus requiring a low spend, but also for the great 4-3-2-1 rewards program.
- You have to spend $2,000 in the first 3 months for 20,000 points
- Those 20,000 points are redeemable for travel, merchandise, gift cards, and more. These points are not redeemable for a cash equivalent
- You earn 1.25 points per $1 spent, which can be redeemed for travel, merchandise, gift cards and more
- The points to cash option allows members to use points to make a NEFCU Visa Signaure Elite Credit Card payment or a cash deposit to their NEFCU accounts. There is a $25 minimum per conversion.
- Rates range from 11.99% – 17.99% APR on the Visa® Signature Elite Card
- No annual fee
This card requires a membership to NEFCU, a credit union located on Long Island, NY. If you live, work, worship, attend school, or regularly conduct business in Nassau or Suffolk County, you’re eligible for membership. If a relative is already a member, he or she can sponsor you.
on NEFCU’s secure websiteWells Fargo Rewards® Card
- There’s a 0% introductory APR for the first 15 months on balance transfers and purchases. The variable APR then ranges from 18.40% – 27.24% based on your creditworthiness
- You can earn 5x points on gas, grocery, and drugstore net purchases for 6 months on up to $12,500 spent and 1x points on other net purchases – enjoy 5 years to use the points you earn.
- You can redeem points for travel, merchandise, cash back, gift cards, and more
- Points can be redeemed for cash by applying them to your qualifying Wells Fargo account or requesting a paper check. Cash redemption options are available by phone and online in increments of $25 only.
- There’s no annual fee
- There’s a late fee and returned check fee up to $37
- The foreign exchange currency conversion fee is 3% of each transaction converted to U.S. dollars.
This is a good “every day” rewards card to carry with you. You’re automatically enrolled in the Wells Fargo Rewards Program when you get this card.
You need a Wells Fargo account to apply online, though you can also apply at a branch.
on Wells Fargo Bank’s secure website
Use Cash Back Credit Cards With Caution
As you can see, some of these cards come with annual fees and introductory APRs that are great for the first year. However, some of the benefits might not be good enough to warrant keeping the card once that year is over.
Keep in mind that “credit card churning” – canceling your cards after the first year and applying for a new one – will have an effect on your credit score. It might not be huge, but it’s a good idea to avoid this practice if you’ll be making an important purchase in the near future (like buying a home).
Otherwise, take advantage of credit card companies and save money on travel, gift cards, and more. You should absolutely earn points on your regular purchases by spending with a rewards credit card.
The post Best Cash Back Sign-On Bonus Credit Cards of April 2018 appeared first on MagnifyMoney.