Local News

Antiques Mall to Reopen, Expand After Fire

Posted January 21, 2008 4:16 p.m. EST

— The owner of an antiques mall destroyed by fire last fall said he plans to rebuild and expand the center.

As many as 45 antique vendors at Festival Park Place, which is commonly known as Gas House Antiques, lost their wares in a Sept. 24 fire. The first floor of the Rowan Street building was an antique mall, while the second floor was mostly used for office space.

The fire was blamed on a faulty surge protector, and a propane leak fueled the blaze.

Owner John Malzone said he plans to expand the building by 14,000 square feet and add a lot of character.

The antiques mall is expected to reopen in the fall, and all but three vendors have said they plan to return.