Local News

After fifth house fire, Cary firefighters warn residents of hazardous surge protectors

Posted January 8, 2019 9:31 a.m. EST
Updated January 8, 2019 7:14 p.m. EST

— Investigators have determined that a house fire in December was linked to a faulty surge protector.

According to Tuesday's statement from the Cary Fire Department, the Dec. 28 fire is at least the fifth in Cary to be connected to a specific kind of surge protector, which is often installed with heating and air conditioners by contractors.

The affected surge protectors are identified as Type 2 surge protectors and are labeled Supco Model SCM150, and Sycom Model SYC‑120/240-T2. Both are manufactured by Sycom Surge, Inc.

After fifth house fire, Cary firefighters warn residents of hazardous surge protectors

According to Cary officials, these models are deemed potentially hazardous by UL, a global safety consulting and certification company.

Homeowners are asked to spread the word and check their surge protectors. In the most recent fire, investigators determined that a Supco surge protector on the home's A/C unit caught fire, scorching the side of the home.

"My husband and I were sitting in the kitchen...I looked outside the side window and I saw smoke coming off the ground, I thought it was a haze from the weather," said Judy DiDonato. "I opened the door and I smelled something and my son ran out front, and when I went out behind him he said, 'Do you have a fire extinguisher?'"

If a device bearing one of the labels below is identified at the home, citizens should contact a licensed electrician or heating and A/C contractor.

More label information can be found on the town's website.

If you have questions or concerns, call Sycom at 800-622-9904