Local News

911 caller in Cary stabbing: 'He's trying to kill her'

Posted May 2, 2012 10:07 p.m. EDT
Updated May 2, 2012 10:36 p.m. EDT

— A woman who called 911 during a stabbing at a Cary apartment told the dispatcher that neighbors saw a man with a knife who was "trying to kill" a woman early Sunday.

"My neighbors are over here talking about how my neighbor is getting killed. All I can hear is them screaming. Somebody's screaming, 'He's trying to kill her. He's got a knife,'" the neighbor said in a 911 call released Wednesday.

Jason Greenlee, 30, has been charged with attempted first-degree murder and first-degree kidnapping in the assault. Police have not commented on Greenlee's relationship to the victim, Stephanie Cary, but the neighbor told 911 that the two were living together in an apartment across the hall.

Cary's condition has not been released, but police described her injuries as "serious."

The caller said the victim's children were inside the apartment, at 105 Ribbon Lane, at the time. One of the children, a girl, went across the hall to the caller's apartment while she was on the phone with 911. 

She said several of her neighbors saw Greenlee stabbing and beating Cary, but that she didn't feel safe leaving her apartment to see what was going on. 

Before the assault, the caller said, she heard arguing.

"They were arguing and she told him he had to go because her kids were in there. Now, he's beating her up," the caller said.

She said she didn't know the people involved and that they had just moved in a week ago.

Greenlee was being held Wednesday at the Wake County jail on a $3 million bond.

After officers arrived on the scene around 5:45 a.m. Sunday, police said Greenlee took Cary hostage inside the apartment. He released her children and sister-in-law, who were unharmed. Cary was let out some time later and taken to WakeMed.

Greenlee barricaded himself in the apartment and was eventually taken into custody shortly before 9 a.m., police said. He was treated for self-inflicted injuries at a local hospital and then released into police custody Tuesday.