Local News

7-year-old has 'miracle' recovery after Raleigh shooting

Posted December 1, 2015 4:09 p.m. EST

Brandon Ross was charged Nov. 24, 2015, with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury.

— A 7-year-old who was shot in the head at a Raleigh home last week is out of the hospital and is expected to return home to New York this week, according to his family.

Joseph Meacham was shot on Nov. 24 at a home at 4204 Ferriday Court. Brandon Ross, 21, who lives at the home, was charged with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury and remains in the Wake County jail under a $100,000 bond.

Doctors at Duke University Hospital called Joseph's recovery a miracle, said his cousin, Chris Meacham.

Ross was supervising Joseph and three other children, who ranged in age from 7 months old to 10 years old, and Ross left those children unattended after the shooting while he and a neighbor drove Joseph to WakeMed, according to a search warrant.

A witness told deputies that Ross had hidden the gun used in the shooting in the backyard of the home before going to the hospital, the search warrant states.

Joseph was resting at his aunt's house in Raleigh and would leave the area to head home to New York in a few days, Chris Meacham said.