Officials: EVOO food scare prompted anchovies recall
Monarch Food Service recalled the anchovies after at least 10 people suddenly became sick at EVOO restaurant, 2519 Fairview Road, on April 17.Posted — Updated
Anchovies purchased from U.S. Food Service caused at least 10 people suddenly to become sick at EVOO restaurant, 2519 Fairview Road, on April 17.
"The last 24 hours has been the biggest sigh of relief I think I've ever experienced in my ten years in the hospitality industry," EVOO owner Robert Duffy said. "Hopefully, with this information, our customers will realize we didn't do anything or could have done anything to prevent it."
Monarch Food Group, a subsidiary of U.S. Food Service, recalled the anchovies because they contain a high level of histamines, which is the leading cause of fish poisoning.
The victims experienced stomach cramps, vomiting and dizziness – symptoms that point to scombroid histamine fish poisoning, said Dr. Lee-Ann Jaykus, a microbiologist at North Carolina State, after reviewing county health reports two weeks ago at the request of WRAL.
Andre Pierce, director of Wake County's Environmental Health Department, said he believes the sickness was related to salad greens. The incident reports show that all of the customers who became ill ate salads. A sample of tuna was also sent for testing.
Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.