5 On Your Side

5 On Your Side: Medical forms 18 year olds should sign

Posted August 12, 2020 11:57 a.m. EDT
Updated August 12, 2020 6:01 p.m. EDT

— Whether your child is a high school senior or away at college when they turn 18, parents should make sure they can advocate for young adults if there’s a medical emergency.

What if they get COVID-19, and end up in a coma?

5 On Your Side tell us parents need certain legal documents signed by the child before there’s a crisis.

HIPAA says once a child is legally an adult, parents have no more right to their child’s medical information than a stranger.

It doesn’t matter that your child is still on your health insurance or if you pay the bills, which surprises a lot of people.

So when your child turns 18, have them sign these three forms:

You’re basically getting your child to sign the equivalent of a permission slip.

If there’s ever an emergency, it helps eliminate any ambiguity.

Monica Laliberte says some forms need to be notarized.

This applies to any adult who is not married. The forms allow you to select someone to make decisions if you can’t?

Our commenting policy has changed. If you would like to comment, please share on social media using the icons below and comment there.