2 Uninjured in Fayetteville House Explosion
Posted July 19, 2007 12:29 p.m. EDT
Updated July 19, 2007 8:04 p.m. EDT
Fayetteville, N.C. — An explosion seriously damaged a Fayetteville residence Wednesday night, but the two people inside the home were uninjured, authorities said.
A house on Adams Street exploded at about 8:30 p.m. A 90-year-old woman and her 65-year-old son escaped from the house unharmed, authorities said.
One side wall and part of a back wall separated from the house in the incident, authorities said. Some nearby residents were forced to leave their homes for a brief time while authorities secured the scene.
The State Bureau of Investigation and the Fayetteville police and fire departments spent much of Thursday investigating the incident. Police said the compressor from the home's air-conditioning unit sparked fumes from a small gasoline container nearby, which caused the blast.