"Mommy loves you so much," Vigil held for toddlers killed in fire
A mother and father came back to the spot where their 1-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter died in a fire for the first time Tuesday night.Posted — Updated
To call the last couple of days a heartbreaking rollercoaster of emotions would be an understatement.
On Friday night Keyona Weaver was in the hospital delivering her fourth child Isiah, a baby brother for the two young toddlers.
She wishes she could hear their laugh or see their smile one last time, now she's only able to fight back tears and talk to them in the sky.
"Mommy loves you so much and I can't even believe this happened," said Weaver.
The fire broke out around 7:30 p.m. in the 1100 block of N. Mount Street.
At the sight of such a tragedy, the family was welcomed by the love of dozens of people.
Guy Wilson has been doing everything he can to stay strong for the mother of his children and their family and urged all parents to hold their kids a little closer tonight.
"I never thought nothing like this would happen to my children that I brought in this world and raised for real though," said Wilson. "I thank everybody that came I thank all of you very much."
Weaver said her children made her smile from the moment she woke up until they went to bed.
"He even threw his dag gone trucks down the steps that he got for Christmas," said Weaver. "Jaliyah used to do the same thing throw her cup down the steps."
At the vigil, there were also prayers for baby Isiah who was born prematurely.
His grandfather said on Friday he's doing wonderful and that he was no longer on a breathing tube.
"He's getting stronger and stronger every day because he has two angels watching over him," said the grandfather.
Wilson said a relative was watching the children when the fire happened.
He was told the fire was caused by a space heater in the home that he says never should have been there because the home has heat.
Copyright 2023 by Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.