eNOugh: Answers, resources to end domestic violence

eNOughNC.org, WRAL and FOX 50 are taking on domestic violence. Get answers here about county-by-county resources to get help and give help.

Posted Updated

eNOughNC.org, WRAL and FOX 50 are taking on domestic violence.

Get answers here about county-by-county resources to get help and give help.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What can I do to help organizations fighting domestic violence?

A: Many organizations across the state provide physical, legal and emotional support to those who are trying to escape an abusive situation.

Anyone can get involved by a donation of time or money to support that mission. You can find a list of organizations and donate directly from eNOughNC.org.
When you upgrade your cell phone, consider donating it through programs like Verizon HopeLine. Used phones are provided as emergency means of communication to individuals looking to escape a violent situation.

Q: If I leave, can I find shelter?

A: InterAct of Wake County has a shelter program for women and women with children who are fleeing domestic violence and are in imminent danger. The first step to accessing shelter is to call the crisis line 919-828-7740 and speak with an advocate. If we do not have shelter space available, we will assist you with finding safe shelter outside of the area.
eNOughNC.org offers a county-by-county list of crisis hotlines and shelters across the state of North Carolina.

Q: I need to leave the area. Can I get help with shelter outside of the county/state?

A: Most shelters have contacts across the state and the country to assist you with efforts to connect with other service providers and find safety outside of the area.

Q: How do I get a Domestic Violence Protective Order (DVPO)?

A: In Raleigh, you can come to the InterAct office at 1012 Oberlin Road in Raleigh where an advocate can assist you with the DVPO paperwork and answer questions about the court process. You will then take the paperwork to the Wake County Courthouse and file it with the Clerk of Courts. You will have a hearing before the judge that afternoon. You may also go straight to the courthouse to get the initial paperwork.

If you need additional legal advice, Legal Aid of North Carolina provides free legal assistance to battered women and/or domestic violence victims.

Q: What steps should I take to stay safe when leaving my abusive partner?

A: One of the most dangerous times for victims or survivors in an abusive relationship is when they are taking steps to leave or after they have left.

If at all possible, we encourage people to reach out to discuss their individual safety concerns and to complete a safety plan.

Some safety steps to consider include:

  • not telling the perpetrator that you are planning to leave;
  • trying to plan where you are going to go and how you are going to get there;
  • making sure you have important papers, documents and medications with you;
  • and taking any extra cash.

If you feel unsafe at any time, you can always call 911.

Q: Are there lawyers who can help me with my child custody/divorce/child support filings and trials?

A: Legal Aid of North Carolina provides free legal assistance to battered women and/or domestic violence victims.

Q: Is what I’m experiencing “domestic violence”?

A: Domestic violence can be defined as a pattern of behavior in any relationship that is used to gain or maintain power and control over an intimate partner. Abuse can be physical, sexual, emotional, financial or psychological. This includes any behaviors that frighten, intimidate, terrorize, manipulate, hurt, humiliate, blame, injure or wound someone.

Q: Where can I find assistance with rent, food, clothing, etc.?

A: If you call the InterAct crisis line (919-828-7740) or the domestic violence program in your county to connect to resources in the community that meet these needs.

Q: Do you have support groups and how can I get into a support group?

A: InterAct has a number of support groups, including Domestic Violence Education Groups that are facilitated in both English and Spanish. If you are interested in group, the first step is to call the crisis line (919-828-7740) or walk into the office (1012 Oberlin Road in Raleigh) and speak with an advocate. We encourage clients to meet for three individual counseling sessions before completing an intake and starting group. Support groups run for eight-week sessions.

Q: What should I do if my partner violates a DVPO (protective order)?

A: If your partner violates the conditions of a Domestic Violence Protective Order, you should contact the police.

Q: What are your hours of operation and how do I get an appointment to meet with a crisis counselor in person?

A: Interact's crisis lines are available 24-hours a day. The numbers are 919-828-7740 for domestic violence and 919-828-3005 for sexual assault. The office is open to walk-ins Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 1:00pm and 2:00pm to 5:00pm. All services are free and confidential and no appointment is necessary.

Hours, phone numbers and contact methods vary by program, but eNOughNC.org lists county-by-county contacts for domestic violence programs.

eNOugh domestic violence: eNOughNC

WRAL and our parent company, Capitol Broadcasting Company, are partners in an effort to prevent and end domestic violence called eNOughNC. On eNOughNC.org, victims and batterers can find resources to break the cycle of violence, and members of the community can find ways to help.

Copyright 2023 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.