‘Bachelorette’ Contestant Was Convicted in 2016 Groping Case
Posted June 13, 2018 11:35 p.m. EDT
A contestant on the ABC reality series “The Bachelorette” was convicted last month in connection with a 2016 groping episode, putting the show’s vetting process under scrutiny for the second time this season.
The contestant, Lincoln Adim, 26, pleaded guilty in May to indecent assault and battery for groping a woman on a harbor cruise in Boston in May 2016, according to Jake Wark, a spokesman for the Suffolk County district attorney’s office in Massachusetts. The conviction, on May 21, came a week before the premiere of the current season of “The Bachelorette,” a reality television dating and marriage show. The third episode aired this week, and Adim remains in the running for the hand of Becca Kufrin, this season’s bachelorette.
The episodes are filmed weeks or months in advance, but the fact that court records indicate Adim was charged in 2016 raises questions about whether the show knew, or should have known, of his history before casting him. A representative from Disney, which owns ABC, said in an email that the show’s producer, Warner Bros., is responsible for background checks and contestant vetting. A spokeswoman for Warner Bros. said it had no comment.
Questions about the show’s vetting process have surfaced before, most recently on May 28, on the news that another contestant, Garrett Yrigoyen, had apparently liked Instagram posts mocking unauthorized immigrants, transgender people and David Hogg, a survivor of the Parkland, Florida, high school shooting. Yrigoyen later apologized on Instagram. Yrigoyen also remains a contestant as of the third episode.
In the 2017 season of the show, which featured its first African-American bachelorette, a contestant was found to have written racially charged and sexist comments on Twitter; in response, an ABC executive acknowledged that the vetting process needed to be beefed up, according to The Wrap.
After his guilty plea, Adim was given a suspended sentence of a year in prison. If he successfully completes a two-year probationary period, in which he is to steer clear of the victim and attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, he will not have to report to prison.
“If he complies with the judge’s orders, he will not have to serve out his term,” a statement from the district attorney’s office said, “but if he fails to comply with those orders or re-offends, he could be ordered to serve out the year behind bars. By law, he is expected to register as a sex offender.”
Adim’s arrest and conviction came to light on Wednesday through Reality Steve, a website devoted to reality television. Efforts to reach Adim were not successful on Wednesday and his lawyer did not respond to a message seeking comment.
According to the show’s website, Adim is originally from Nigeria, was named for Abraham Lincoln, lived in Boston, attended the University of Kentucky and now lives in Los Angeles. According to Adim’s LinkedIn page, he is an account executive for the technology company Oracle.
“The Bachelorette” is now in its 14th season and is bringing in an average of just over 5.6 million viewers a week, according to Nielsen. That is down slightly from last season’s average of 5.9 million viewers, but enough to make “The Bachelorette” the most popular broadcast show on each of the past three Monday nights.