$1M Grant Provides Fresh Fruit for Students
Posted August 30, 2007 5:00 p.m. EDT
Updated August 30, 2007 5:01 p.m. EDT
Raleigh, N.C. — A $1 million grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture will allow students in select public schools to participate in the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program this school year.
The main purpose of the program is to increase students’ consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables, according to the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
This is the fourth consecutive year North Carolina has participated in the program.
The grant money will be distributed among 25 elementary schools to purchase and serve a wide variety of free fresh fruits and vegetables to all students in participating schools.
Schools will provide fruit baskets inside the classroom, kiosks in the hallways and other ways to allow students to grab a fresh fruit or vegetable snack throughout the school day.
The following elementary schools will participate for the 2007-08 school year:
- Bearfield Primary School, Hertford County Schools;
- Mattamuskeet Elementary School, Hyde County Schools;
- Supply Elementary School, Brunswick County Schools;
- Graham A. Barden Elementary School, Craven County Schools;
- Oaks Road Elementary School, Craven County Schools;
- Edwin A. Alderman Elementary School, New Hanover County Schools;
- Johnson Primary School, Camp Lejeune Dependents Schools;
- Tarawa Terrace II Elementary School, Camp Lejeune Dependents Schools;
- Rich Square-Creecy Elementary School, Northampton County Schools;
- Edgewood Elementary School, Whiteville City Schools;
- Boone Trail Elementary School, Harnett County Schools;
- Candor Elementary School, Montgomery County Schools;
- Long Branch Elementary School, Public Schools of Robeson County;
- Cyrus P. Frazier Elementary School, Guilford County Schools;
- Southmont Elementary School, Randolph County Schools;
- Elizabeth Hanford-Dole Elementary School, Rowan-Salisbury Schools;
- North Rowan Elementary School, Rowan-Salisbury Schools;
- Aquadale Elementary School, Stanly County Schools;
- Walter Bickett Elementary School, Union County Schools;
- Sparta Elementary School, Alleghany County Schools;
- Mountain View Elementary School, Ashe County Schools;
- Newland Elementary School, Avery County Schools;
- Hall Fletcher Elementary School, Asheville City Schools;
- Smokey Mountain Elementary School, Jackson County Schools; and
- Sunshine Elementary School, Rutherford County Schools.