Local News

YMCA contractor burned in Rocky Mount

Posted July 29, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A contractor working at the YMCA pool in Rocky Mount was flown to the North Carolina Jaycees Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill after suffering burns Friday morning, fire officials said.

The contractor, who works for McCorquadale Electric, was using a vacuum truck to get sand out of the pool filter when the engine of the vacuum malfunctioned, Rocky Mount Fire Chief Trey Mayo said. He went out to check it and got gasoline on his clothing. A spark from the vacuum set his clothing on fire.

The contractor’s name and condition were not available.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • RB aka Spirit Warrior Woman Jul 29, 2011


    Praying for him and for those who love him.

    Thank God we have a burn center nearby.

  • justafella Jul 29, 2011

    Prayers for this man and his family.

  • larky74406 Jul 29, 2011

    A spark from the vacuum? How bout a cigarette?

  • Skywatch_NC Jul 29, 2011

    Prayers and thoughts with he and his family for a full recovery.

  • usmilewme2 Jul 29, 2011

    Thoughts & Prayers go out to him and his family....know this guy and he's a good hard worker and person...really sad thing....

  • 007KnightRider Jul 29, 2011

    So sad. I hope he makes a full recovery. My thoughts and prayers are with him.